Thursday, January 28, 2010

50 mintues to the bus stop

I sit here at a computer surrounded by interns. We know our place. We don't ask questions unless necessary. We talk about what's going on in the world, aka what everyone's tweeting about. We cover the basic topics such as weekend plans, working out the next sporting event. I laugh about the free t-wolves tickets I got at work last night. I think, "The team stinks, but at least they are free."

Then I realize, I don't typically have time for this. I go from here to there without any time to waste. And I wonder, what is it all for?

Recently I've been going through the caverns of my mind eliminating anything that doesn't belong. Events have less meaning. Some say, "Hey Joy, we've got this thing on Wednesday night, would you like to come?" I respond, "Unless it's at Lifetime Fitness, I'm unavailable." I only have time for work and a few close friends. My schedule went from empty, to jam packed in a few short weeks.

My part time job closely coincides with a prayer I said in September. I remember it clearly. "Humble me, God. I'm willing to do anything. I'll even clean toilets." When you're unemployed and after 30 job applications, you hear no response, you get a little desperate. Little did I know that that prayer would be answered with a huge resounding, "OK, I HEAR YOU!" response. 22 hours a week I clean the locker rooms at Lifetime Fitness in Maple Grove. Though its not a career, I get to fold towels for 7 hours and clean already-cleaned toilets. I am the queen of the castle in an all black spandexy uniform that I feel like cat woman in. The nametag says, "Joy Operations Team Member." I find it a dull silver only after a few wears. However, I do like the work because get plenty of time to think and pray. It's a no brainer.

The other 37 hours of the work week are spent at MSP Communications where I am an editorial intern, fact checking, writing and copying my way into the magazine world. I find the job interesting, yet a little slow. Other interns, who have been here longer, assure me that it does pick up. They're like the cadets and we are the peewee's. They tell us about everything we need to know. I find myself liking the work but hating the environment. I hear the clack clack clack of my deskmate's keyboard. He's definitely looking at an AP style guide as we speak. I miss the solitariness of freelancing, but love the paycheck of an office job, which is why I am going to try to get myself out of this pickle of love/hate relationships. I'm networking with a freelance writer next week. Hopefully she'll give me some advice for a lucrative career outside the office.

I don't know what's next. But I do know that there is a lot to learn and I've been blessed with two opportunities. One perfecting the art of folding white towels and the other brings me one step closer to my dreams. Freelance writing, here I come.

1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail on the head. With freelancing it's a lot of ebb and flow. I grew up with that (my dad has a consulting business) so I'm used to it. Doesn't mean it's always fun. I like the security of a full-time job, too. But again, who on earth wants to sit in an office for 8 hours? You don't have to, I don't have to. But at some point we must? Or else figure another way out. I'm so thankful for your support. Know that you can always lean on me, and I am so glad we were able to have a pow wow this week!

    ReplyDelete